Video Bar

Loading...

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Match.Com Sued Again By Woman Attacked By A Man She Met On The Site Match.Com Has Priors.


1). LAS VEGAS (CBS Las Vegas/AP) January 25th, 2013....An online dating service says a Las Vegas woman has no legal basis for her lawsuit seeking $10 million after she was matched with a man who hid in her garage and brutally attacked her.  50-year-old Mary Kay Beckman has filed a $10 million lawsuit against dating site Match.com, placing blame on them for a 2011 incident that left her nearly dead. In September of 2010, Beckman met her “match” on the site, 53-year-old Wade Ridley. But after just eight days, she decided to break it off. Four months later, he broke into her house and stabbed her 10 times with a butcher knife. So hard that according to reports, the knife broke.

2). LOS ANGELES — August 23, 2011...A woman who sued Match.com after being sexually assaulted by a man she met on the dating website settled her lawsuit on Tuesday when she saw proof that the site screenings its members for sexual predators. Carole Markin sued the website when she found out her attacker had been convicted of sexual battery. She did not seek monetary damages in her lawsuit, just a court order requiring the site to check its members' backgrounds to weed out convicted sex offenders.
"If I save one woman from being attacked, I'm happy," Markin said. "I went into this lawsuit to protect other people, and it worked. Robert Platt, an attorney for the site, said Match.com has begun checking its members against state and federal sex-offender databases.  Last week Alan Wurtzel, 67, pleaded no contest to assaulting Markin. He could face a year in jail, five years of probation and a lifetime registration as a sex offender when he is sentenced Sept. 19 2011. Prosecutors said that on their second date last year, Wurtzel drove Markin to her home and followed her inside where he sexually assaulted her while holding her down.
 
3). SEATTLE PI NEWS June 27 2010..Match made in hell: Dating services may not do criminal checks.   A retired San Antonio motorcycle-salvage yard owner, who also is a convicted murderer, was looking for love on a popular online dating Web site. Match.com didn’t screen members for criminal records (AT THE TIME OF THIS ARTICLE), which explains why Abraham Fortune was able to post a profile and interact with other members on the site.
After the San Antonio Express-News asked the site about how it deals with members who are violent felons, Fortune’s profile was removed. Despite the fact that many online dating sites don’t perform background checks, users feel a certain comfort level that they won’t run into sexual offenders or other criminals because they have paid for the service, MORE FROM THIS SOURCE…
 
PANAMA CITY BEACH, FLORIDA January 10 2010. The Dangerous Side of Online Dating, Story by Gretchen Peters, Foreign Correspondent for “The National”. With as many as 40 million single Americans using online dating services or web-networking sites such as MySpace to look for love, it would seem that there has never been an easier time to find a soulmate online.  But experts, law enforcement officials and private investigators warn that the world of internet romance is fraught with peril, ranging from liars to sexual predators and even murderers, who hide their motives behind seemingly innocuous virtual identities.
Bill Warner a Florida private investigator offers on his website to “sort out the winners from the losers” for a flat fee of US $65 says running background checks on potential internet dates now constitutes more than 50 per cent of his business.  “Usually the problem is that the man is married or he turns out to be one of these crazy stalker people that follows a woman for months,” he said in a telephone interview.
In many cases, Mr Warner said he would discover that men had joined a site using a false name, a prepaid, throwaway cell phone and a phoney e-mail address from free services such as Yahoo or Hotmail.  “There are a lot of people out there who get jazzed up by disguising themselves,” he said, adding that nearly 100 per cent of his cases involved women being victimised by men.
 
Bill Warner Sarasota Private Investigator, SEX, CRIME, CHEATERS & TERRORISM at www.wbipi.com