* Call August 20 presidential vote US ‘invasion’, urge Afghans to join jihad
The Taliban website appears to be now, August 1st, 2009, shut down, see my prior post, Saturday, July 25, 2009, "ATTN: Investigative Reporter Australian Newspapers.....Taliban official website is hosted in Milton AU, shut it down."
One included President Hamid Karzai’s senior vice-presidential running mate Muhammad Qasim Fahim, who escaped unhurt. One of Karzai’s campaign offices in western Herat was bombed on Tuesday but there were no casualties. Karzai is seen as a clear front-runner ahead of 36 challengers, with former foreign minister Abdullah Abdullah and ex-finance minister Ashraf Ghani seen among few serious contenders. Four candidates have pulled out so far. The Taliban accused Karzai of not having the courage to stand up to the Americans. There was no immediate comment from the presidential palace in response to the Taliban’s statement. The statement by the Taliban said all roads should be blocked before polling takes place and voters told about the plan to disrupt the election.