NY Post; Dreams by a Muslim group to build a mosque near Ground Zero may not match its means. The ambitious and immediately controversial proposal to create the $100 million religious and cultural center does not seem to be backed by any cash.
The American Society for Muslim Advancement, which proposed the center, has assets of less than $1 million, according to its most recent audited financial statement. A sister organization, the Cordoba Initiative, listed assets of less than $20,000 in 2008. Its tax filings do not disclose at least $60,000 in private contributions, a Post analysis found, raising questions about where the money went.
"Now, there may be a 13-story mosque with a swimming pool, basketball and a performing arts center just blocks from Ground Zero. What is happening? Laughter at killing innocents, desecrating victims' remains, having no compassion for the sick and grieving left behind? Will 2,752 New Yorkers be replaced by 2,000 celebrating Muslims" ?
On Sept. 11, the Burlington Coat Factory store at 45 Park Place NYC, see photo above , with 80 employees, was one of 250 Burlington outlets nationwide owned by the Milstein family. That morning, recalled Stephen Milstein, the company’s former general manager and vice president, the staff was in the basement when a piece of a plane plunged through the roof, either from American Airlines Flight 11 crashing into the north tower at 8:46 a.m., or United Airlines Flight 175 crashing into the south tower at 9:03.
Kukiko Mitani, whose husband, Stephen Pomerantz, owned the building at the time, tried to sell it for years, at one time asking $18 million. But when the recession hit, she sold it in July 2009 to a real estate investment firm, Soho Properties, for $4.85 million in cash, records show.
One of the investors was the Cordoba Initiative, an interfaith group founded by Imam Feisal. “It’s really to provide a place of peace, a place of services and solutions for the community which is always looking for interfaith dialogue,” said Sharif El-Gamal, chairman and chief executive of Soho Properties.
Key players in the plan to build a $100M Islamic religious center at 45 Park Place NYC ;
* Wife of Feisal Abdul Rauf
* Executive director and co-founder of the American Society for Muslim Advancement; director of the Cordoba Initiative.
* Member of an educational advisory group to the National Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum.
* Born in India.
Feisal Abdul Rauf
* Imam of the Masjid al Farah mosque in TriBeCa.
* Author of “What’s Right With Islam Is What’s Right With America.”
* Born in Kuwait; educated in England, Egypt and Malaysia. Holds a bachelor’s degree from Columbia University and a master’s degree in plasma physics from Stevens Institute of Technology.
* Owns three homes, luxury cars, favors Armani suits.
Sharif El-Gamal (the money man)
* CEO of Soho Properties. Primary investor in the $4.8 million purchase of 45 Park Place, address for proposed mosque.
* Three companies involved in the purchase of the building are tied to Gamal or to Soho Properties.
* Soho Properties spent $45.7 million for a 12-story Chelsea office building in 2009.
Sharif El-Gamal one of the money man behind the 9/11 Mosque at 45 Park Place sets up SOHO PROPERTIES INC in NYC in 2003 with plenty of cash and starts buying commercial property in Manhattan. Sharif M. El-Gamal and Sammy M. El-Gamal partners in SOHO PROPERTIES INC appear to be related to Mohamed El-Gamal who is in his mid sixties and has been in the construction business in the greater New York area for many years. In April 2007 Sharif El-Gamal and his wife buy a $1 million dollar apartment on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
There is word of a investigation that is ongoing into Sammy and Sharif El-Gamal of the SOHO Properties real estate business by the NYS Dept of Licensing in Manhattan for non-payment of apartment rental deposits to customers that were supposed to be in escrow…How can Sammy and Sharif El-Gamal buy million dollar properties for cash in Mnahattan but can’t pay back a few thousdand dollars on apartment deposits that were supposed to be in escrow ? Whose zoomin who on the Ground Zero Mosque in Lower Manhattan where did the $4.8 million in cash come from to buy 45 Park Place? More on any links from New York’s Sammy and Sharif El-Gamal’s to North Carolina’s Moe El-Gamal’s and Libya’s Leader Moammar Khadafy and all his cash, to come………
Rauf, Khan are founders of:
American Society for Muslim Advancement
* Nonprofit behind the proposed mosque. Founded in 1997 to “elevate the discourse on Islam and foster environments in which Muslims thrive.”
* Offices in Manhattan and North Bergen, NJ.
* Assets of less than $1M.
* Another nonprofit behind the mosque proposal. Founded in 2004 to promote positive interaction between the Muslim world and the West.
* Offices in Manhattan and Malaysia.
* Assets of $18,255 at the end of 2008.
Bill Warner Private Investigator, SEX, CRIME, CHEATERS & TERRORISM