KHARTOUM, Sudan (AP) - Story Published: Jun 24, 2009 at 11:15 AM EDT. A Sudanese court convicted five people Wednesday in the slaying of an American diplomat last year and sentenced four of them to death. Gunmen firing from a car killed John Granville and his Sudanese driver on Jan. 1, 2008, as he was returning home from a New Year's party in Khartoum, Sudan's capital.
The two men, aged 25 and 30, were members of a group that was also behind a plot to bomb Western embassies in Khartoum that was uncovered in August, the security source told Reuters.It was the first official confirmation that a militant group may have been behind the double shooting. Some official sources in Sudan originally claimed that the killing was an "isolated incident".
The suspects opened fire when they were cornered on Saturday in a suburb of Omdurman, a city adjacent to the Sudanese capital, the SUNA state news agency reported. Security officers returned the fire.
Two policemen, a passing woman and the two suspects were wounded, none seriously, said the security source. "They are from the same group who tried to do the explosions ...They are fundamentalists," the source added, referring to the reported August bomb plot.