Sunday, November 30, 2008

American Journalist from NPR Narrouly survive Sticky Car Bombing on their Armored BMW in Iraq,

American Journlists from NPR Narrowly Survive Car Bombing in Iraq, by Ivan WatsonListen: Ivan Watson Discusses The Attack On 'All Things Considered'

“I was supposed to die here, but it seems my life is longer than this. I will be back, habibi.”NPR videographer Ali Hamdani

November 30, 2008 · An NPR correspondent and three members of NPR's Iraqi staff narrowly survived an apparent assassination attempt in Baghdad on Sunday after a hidden "sticky" bomb exploded underneath their parked, armored BMW.

The car exploded in a pillar of flame and was totally destroyed. No one was injured in the attack. The bombing took place during a brief NPR reporting trip to western Baghdad's battle-scarred Rabiye Street. Rabiye Street was once a bustling commercial boulevard, where boutiques and popular cafes faced the gardens of a grassy median.

NPR Iraqi producer and translator Ali Hamdani, two Iraqi drivers who do not want to be named for security reasons and I had stopped to conduct interviews in a kebab shop, just a few yards from an Iraqi army checkpoint. Our group spent about 45 minutes there, eating lunch and conducting interviews with the shop's two owners. The armored BMW and a second NPR "chase car" were parked in the street out front.

At the end of the meal, the NPR team was headed back to its vehicles but stopped for a moment when kebab shop owner Athir Abdul El Mawjood began showing the bullet holes that still pockmark the front of his business. Suddenly, Iraqi soldiers ran up screaming "bomb" in Arabic and pointing at the parked BMW. They blocked oncoming traffic, and an Iraqi officer named Lt. Mohamed Jabbour physically pulled one of our drivers away from the parked car.

Seconds later, the BMW exploded and burst into flames some 15 feet from us. The bomb appeared to have been one of the so-called sticky bombs that insurgents have increasingly used to lethal effect in Baghdad over the past year. The bombers use magnets to attach the explosives to the underside of parked vehicles.

The device was placed underneath the driver's side of the vehicle. The force of the blast blew out the vehicle's armored floor plates. There was no sign of the steering wheel. Looking at the twisted wreckage of the interior, it is hard to imagine how any passengers seated inside could have survived the attack.

Either because of the makeup of the bomb or because of the solidity of the armored vehicle, the explosion did not hurl any shrapnel into the crowd standing nearby. In fact, the blast did not even damage several cartons of eggs lying on a street vendor's table on the sidewalk just six feet from the BMW.

"I received a call just three minutes before it exploded," said Iraqi national army Capt. Heider Fawzi. He said he immediately issued orders to stop traffic on Rabiye Street and to prevent anyone from approaching the vehicle. Fawzi said the bomb may have been triggered by remote control.

"I believe the man who detonated it was watching [you], because the second I ordered the troops to block the roads, he detonated it. He realized it was over. He had been discovered," Fawzi said. Fawzi said he arrested one suspect — one of the egg vendors from the shop next to the parked BMW. The Iraqi officer said the suspect had been under surveillance for some time because one of his family members was allegedly a member of al-Qaida in Iraq.

Today's survivors were lucky. According to Iraq's Ministry of Defense, there were a total of 108 bombings in Baghdad in November, which killed 148 Iraqi civilians and 22 Iraqi police officers and soldiers. The attack on the NPR vehicle Sunday marked the 28th use of a sticky bomb in Baghdad this month.

Bill Warner
Private Investigator