Thursday, October 30, 2008

World War II Vet Killed, Assailant's Accomplice, Carol Hart, Captured 38 Years Later in Manton Mich.

Captured Mich. fugitive says she's 'tired of running' Oralandar Brand-Williams / The Detroit News; When Carol Hart was captured Wednesday by sheriff's deputies after walking away from a Michigan prison 38 years ago, she resisted before handing them a bogus driver's license. But she soon gave up her fight.

Her reasons were surprisingly simple. The U.S. Marshal led Detroit Fugitive Apprehension Team (DFAT) Task Force announces the arrest today of Carol HartT for escape. Hart escaped from the now defunct Detroit House of Corrections (DeHoCo) in September of 1970.

"I'm too old to fight, I'm tired of running," the convicted murderer told agents on the way to jail. The Wexford County Sheriff's Office, working with U.S. Marshals agents, arrested the 61-year-old in Manton, Mich., the sixth fugitive from Michigan prisons to be recaptured since April.

Hart escaped from the Detroit House of Corrections Sept. 17, 1970, by walking out of the minimum-security prison, where she was sent after a conviction for robbery and murder. She was 23 at the time. She was serving 25-35 years for a botched Genesee County robbery in 1969 with her boyfriend that ended in the fatal shooting of a World War II veteran, according to the U.S. Marshals Office.

Matt Batcheller, a spokesman for the U.S. Marshals Eastern District Office in Detroit, said Hart was living under another name and produced a driver's license identifying herself as "Carrie Lynn Fox" when authorities arrested her. Hart was living in Manton with her husband since 2003.
Batcheller said it's not clear if Hart's husband knew she was a fugitive. A phone call left at Hart's home was not returned Wednesday evening. Authorities believe Hart fled to Florida with her children after the escape and started a new life using a fraudulent Social Security card.

She has lived in several other states since then, including Nevada and North Carolina, according to the U.S. Marshals Office. By Wednesday evening, Hart was on her way to the Wayne County Jail, where she will be turned over to the Michigan Department of Corrections to serve out her original sentence and face new charges for her escape, said Batcheller.

"Even after 38 years, the victim's family has finally been able to get some closure, at least as far as this fugitive is concerned," said U.S. Marshal Robert Grubbs.

Bill Warner
Private Investigator