Video Bar

Loading...

Monday, June 30, 2008

HANG 'EM HIGH, PENTAGON SEEKS DEATH PENALTY IN USS COLE BOMBING

Pentagon announces charges in USS Cole bombing
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Monday, June 30th 2008, 1:17 PM
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon said Monday it is charging a Saudi Arabian with "organizing and directing" the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole — and will seek the death penalty.

Brig. Gen. Thomas W. Hartmann, legal adviser to the U.S. military tribunal system, said charges are being sworn against Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, a Saudi of Yemeni descent, who has been held at the military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, since 2006.

The charges still must be approved by a
Defense Department official who oversees military tribunals set up for terrorism suspects. Hartmann said the allegations include conspiracy to violate laws of war, murder, treachery, terrorism, destruction of property and intentionally causing serious bodily injury. Seventeen American sailors were killed when the Navy destroyer was attacked in the Yemeni port of Aden as it refueled. Al-Nashiri told a hearing at Guantanamo Bay last year that he confessed to helping plot the bombing only because he was tortured by U.S. interrogators (TOO BAD).

CIA Director Michael Hayden said early this year that al-Nashiri was among terrorist suspects subjected to waterboarding in 2002 and 2003 while being interrogated in secret CIA prisons. Asked at a Pentagon press conference how a trial could go forward under those circumstances, Hartmann said all evidence — including the issue of torture or abuse — would be before the tribunal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated, Bill Warner Private Investigator Sarasota to Panama City Fl, SEX, CRIME, CHEATERS & TERRORISM at www.wbipi.com